follow me

https://www.facebook.com/motherhoodandeverythinginbetween

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Calling All Pickle Lovers: Refrigerator Pickles

A few years back I made some awesome pickles while my daughter was in school. She has been wanting to make pickles with me for quite some time. This past weekend we finally had a mommy/daughter date and made pickles. I made them a bit differently..so we made DELICIOUS refrigerator pickles. I did it this way is because I didn't trust that my 6 year old would not contaminate the jars and I thought 3-6 months might be a long time for her to wait to try them out. Honestly I love these better then the ones I made with the whole canning processes.

Here is the recipe I used... I adapted it from: redefined mom



Ingredients:

pickle cucumbers, the little guys (I had about 4 pounds for 8 jars)

Seasonings: (to put in each jar)

ground pepper- about a teaspoon (eye ball it)
dash of red pepper depending on the heat you want
Fresh dill, big pinch for each jar
fresh minced garlic depending on how many you make about 1/2 clove per jar

Brine: (makes 6-8 jars)

6 tablespoons Kosher Salt
4 Tablespoons  Sugar
2.5 cups distilled white vinegar.
4 cups cold water

The process:


1. cut pickle cucumbers how you like pickles. We did spears.
2. add seasonings above to each jar
3. make brine by first combining all brine ingredients except the water
4. stir the brine until sugar/salt  is dissolved
5. add water, give it a few stirs
6. pour into jars
7. close jars, shake them a bit (after closed of course)
8. put in fridge for about 24 hours
9. keep refrigerated





They stay good up to 1 month. These are so good I doubt they will make 2 weeks in my house.

Enjoy!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment