follow me

https://www.facebook.com/motherhoodandeverythinginbetween

Friday, August 22, 2014

Why I got baptized in believers baptism...

This past weekend was an amazing and important weekend for my husband and myself. We were both baptized in believers baptism.

To begin my story, I want to tell you just a four-five years ago, I would have told you I would never do such a thing. My kids were baptized even. But God has done a number on my heart throughout the past few years. I will post my testimony along with my husband's at the end of this post.

The reason I got baptized after being baptized as a baby is this: I did not choose to be baptized. My parents choose. Do not get me wrong, I am so blessed that they choose a pledge to raise me a Christian.  I have learned that I needed to make that decision for myself. In the past few years I have getting closer and closer to God. I started feeling the urge from God to be baptized about 8 months ago. I know it took me a long time to commit. It seemed like every time my church was having a baptism service, something was going on that I could not avoid.  Again, this time my husband was suppose to be going out of town to a business trip...and it got canceled. Amazing. We were able to be baptized. Its is funny how God does these things in our lives.

Anyway, as I began to become closer to God, and my acceptance of Jesus as my savior. I realized that going to heaven was not about anything I have done. There is nothing I could do to get myself there. It was about accepting Jesus as my savior and knowing that he was the only way I was going to get to heaven...I submitted my life to him about four years ago. John 14: 6 explains this: "Jesus answered "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me""


 I began to study up on baptism. I saw that no one was a baby that was baptized in the bible. In fact everyone first accepted Jesus and committed to him before becoming baptized. I also looked into the history of baptism. It seems that the reason babies started to be baptized in the church was due to the need to be part of a church to stay citizens (and not be killed) in the past. It was more of a mark of their church not about salvation. It has now become tradition to most people and even it seems that many people think that this is the way to get to heaven.  Through my own study, I found no evidence of that. All of my studies (and my husband's) in the past few years have shown the complete opposite. You can not believe that you will get to heaven through good deeds or something you have done (baptism etc), and completely accept Jesus as your savior. It is either you believe you get to heaven from deeds/being a good person or Jesus saved us.  It can not be both. It doesn't work. A believer excepts that Jesus is the way, not by anything they have done.

Their are many verse on baptism, you can look up on your own ( Matthew 3: 13-17, Romans 6: 3-4, Acts 8: 26-37; 38, Acts 10: 47, 48, Acts 16: 14-15, Acts 16:33-34) to name a few. My favorite one is this Acts 2: 21
"Those WHO ACCEPTED his message were baptized...."

We also learned that the word "baptizo" in greek means "to dip or to immerse", not to sprinkle..which is done when you are baptized as a baby.

 My husband and I know now that they only way to get to heaven, is to admit we are sinners and accept Jesus as our savior. Jesus also works in our life's in the here and now as well. Everything just works better since we have become believers. Life is simpler, calmer and just works better.  Its amazing how much this change as been such a positive thing for my marriage, children and mself growth.


TESTIMONIES: 

My HUSBANDS:

Growing up I thought the way to heaven was by being a good person. If I lived a life where I did not steal, murder, or cheat I would make it to heaven. Having a relationship with Jesus was not even a thought in my head.

I was living my life making un-wise choices. When my wife became a Christian I was hesitate to change my lifestyle. I was having too much fun living the life I have known for many years. I saw the pain my actions were causing my family and I knew I needed to change. With the help of her and some Christian friends, I was led to Christ. I began to have a hunger to learn more. I started reading the bible, praying, and building a relationship with Jesus.

I now understand doing good deeds is not your ticket to heaven. I understand I am a sinner, and only Jesus can save me. My passion for knowledge and living for God increases everyday. I have joined an adult bible study where I have the support of Christian influences and friends that help continue to build my relationship with Jesus. I now go to him in times of sorrow and give him praise in times of joy.


MINE:

I have always claimed to be a Christian. I always believed I was a Christian, but I was always missing something. Something just did not seem right. Something was off. I was living a slippery slope of bad choices. I followed the path of typical college student followed by the path of the typical young adult living for myself, trying to have as much “fun” as I could. This lifestyle my husband and I had come to accept as normal was not leading to joy, but rather to hurt and distrust in our family. I came to see that the way I was living was not right. I felt as if I were reaching for something...trying to stay afloat but constantly missing the bar.

I realized I was not a real authentic Christian. I was a Christian by birth. It was something I was born into, not something I choose for myself. I decided to do the research through my own study of the bible. This was my salvation and I needed to make sure I was on the right path. What I found was eye opening to me, I was NOT a Christian. I found being a Christian is more then going to Church sometimes, telling others I am a Christian, trying to do the right thing or just coasting through life claiming to be a Christian. Without a personal relationship with God, I was not Christian.

I knew I needed a change and needed it quick. After some time I broke down, cried, admitted I am a sinner/always would be, accepted Jesus as my savior, and asked him to be part of my life. My relationship began with God that day.

Now my life has changed drastically and I live a whole different lifestyle. I do not live to please others, but to please God. I know it sounds like a cliché but it really does feel as I have been set free and made anew. Life is clearer and easier. That is not to say that hard things haven’t happened to me or my family. But even through illness and death in the family I have found God to be faithful. I have realized God’s plan for life is the best plan.

A bible verse that has really meant a lot to me throughout out my journey so far is Ephesians 3:20-21 “Now unto him who is able to do immeasurably more then all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to his glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations for ever and ever”





Make sure to follow me on facebook: Motherhood and everything in between 

No comments:

Post a Comment