follow me

https://www.facebook.com/motherhoodandeverythinginbetween

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

After School Routines


I wrote this blog post on my previous blog. I decided to revisit for myself as we are getting back into our school routine. Just the other day I got her little after school list out. Our day is a little bit different now since she gets home a bit earlier and she has not received any homework just yet. Since she does not have homework yet, we are mainly focusing on extra reading time.  

I still think this a good model to follow after school. I do give it a bit of grace right now since she does not have homework and the weather is still nice (or super hot), she likes to play a bit with her friends at the bus stop.



Here is the post from last year:


Since emily is my first kid in school it's been a bit of a challenge getting into a routine. She comes home exhausted and whiney almost daily. It has been a constant battle with her to behave when she gets home.

A couple of weeks ago I made this little check list which has really helped a lot. She knows what she is to do when she gets home and what is expected. 

When she gets home I have this check list out and she goes through each item. I put a timer on for each activity.  

As a bonus she had been writing much nicer. Now that she has a set schedule it helps me make sure she is working on each of these areas daily and for a set amount of time. 

When her homework is completed I have her do a white board, jounral, workbook or do math with me. Since she is in kindergarten. I tend to spend this time with her. This also gives her some focused attention which I know she needs after a long day at school and really it's only 15 minutes followed by 10 minutes of reading on her own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment