follow me

https://www.facebook.com/motherhoodandeverythinginbetween

Monday, June 2, 2014

Halfway point of the year..how have I done on my New Years Resolutions?

In January I posted this entry below about my new years resolutions goals. I am reposting my goals and will address each one and see how I am doing at the half- way point in bold.



I just love the new year! The way we all make new and move on from the past moves me. Don't get me wrong I think every day is a new beginning but the cleansing of winter and the newness just stirs something in me for self improvement and hope. I have many things I am continually working on within myself, so  here's my list for the new year...

1. Immerse myself in God's word.
Although I try to do daily bible reading, a study or read a spiritual book. I still haven't gotten all the way through the bible. I'm getting there but I want to finish the whole bible. It will be my first time reading through it.

6 months in, I have read my bible almost daily. Weekends seem to be the hardest for bible time. Although I find ways most weekend.  I am currently in Isaiah and Ephesians. and on my last sheet of  3 page bible reading through the year guide.  I am on track finish the bible within the year. I am not pressuring myself to get it done, just a whole overview read myself to start a more in depth knowledge really strengthens my abilities to have a stronger relationship with God. 

2. Do less and spend more time at home. Just because I don't have plans or get asked to do something doesn't mean I should commit. I am going to work on not responding right away and answering prayerfully. I want to spend more time with my nuclear family just being at home this year. Kids grow so quickly and I don't want to feel like it pasted me by because of all the commitments I made. It doesn't mean I don't want to be in different ministries or not see people I love. I just means we need scheduled home weekends.. Where that is our plan for the weekend no matter what comes up.

I feel my family has really done a better job at just staying home. Its has come a priority of our family.  I definitely have not responded right away on requests without going home and checking my calender. Which has helped measurably to see what my week is like. I also schedule about 1-2 week days for shopping/deep cleans/just staying out. I schedule them in my calendar so I am committed to that time. 

3. Make time for less foolish people. I want to spend the time we have with people who I love and aren't hurtful. I have wasted too much engery on being tangled up with hurtful/foolish people.  If I let go of the foolish people in my life and pray for change in them, I make more room for my nuclear family/ others that I love and they love me as well. I need to remember I can't change someone only God can. It's not that I don't care... I really do a lot or it wouldn't upset me so much...I just need to pray and realize God changes hearts...not me. Becoming more of an acquaintance might help instead of being so deeply invested.  I read this book a while back. It has made a impact on my life. Its called Foolproofing Your Life  By: Jan Silvious. Here is the link if your interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Foolproofing-Your-Life-Effectively-Impossible/dp/0307458482/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388681072&sr=8-1&keywords=foolproofing+your+life+by+jan+silvious

This one was a big one for me this year, I have definitely distanced myself from hurtful/foolish people. It has helped a lot to get perspective on what is really important and get out of the drama. Somethings that have really helped me:
1. never commit right away
2. talk about them not about yourself or your plans when you happen to be around them
3. just be polite
4. let go and let God
5. realize that sometime you might be the only light of God they see 
5. Forgive, Forgive, Forgive. This does not mean you put yourself in the same situation again. In regards to this I think of the verse "guard your heart" proverbs 4:23. 
6. Remember: Most people aren't thinking in regards of faith, they are thinking of the world and may be unbeliever, they may not realize it. My goal is not to follow the world's ways but God's ways.  
7. Realize: We all make mistakes and we are all sinners. 


4. More dates with lenny. As parents we seem to get entangled with all type of things and we are just exhausted at night...in which I just want my own space and want to veg out. This last week we had a date night and it was so nice to spend time together without anyone else or being a parent.
5. Spend more meaningfully. Money is just money. Do I really need a million shirts?!? Maybe. Lol. In all seriousness God gave me a husband with a amazing job...he blessed us with it... I want to give back in a meaningful way. Making more meals for others, helping when I feel a push to do so and not ignoring that feeling. Does it mean just give away all our money... No! It just means I want to invest in God and others more meaningfully and prayerfully.

This one has been a bit harder. I will say we have come to an agreement that even if we don't go somewhere at least one night per weekend is for us to have a in home "date" night. Which really consists of watching a movie together and talking. But its nice to have the time and that we know to get the kids to get bed and we have us time. 

6. Be more in tune with my kids. Sometimes I seem to get distracted and they get away with more then when I am focusing on them. I want to stop what I'm doing and follow through more.

This one I have battled with for a while. While I love my kids, sometimes I just have a hard time putting blocks on top of each other for more then about 10 minutes. Thank God my children love to read books, we have been spending more time reading which has been nice. Also my daughter has really gotten into Pioneer women, we have spent a ton of time cooking and watching her on TV together. Its nice that now she is almost 6 she is getting into doing things that are fun and is actually helpful when she does them lol. This summer we have "played school" and she is just loving that. Plus she gets to learn and I get to use my teaching background.  What is really hard is the balance with my kids. My son is just 1 and he is in a destructive phase and my daughter is almost 6 and is in a constructive phase. Its hard to balance the two. My son, is a super boy though just throwing/kicking a ball keeps him happy. 

7. Be more healthy. I want to make more healthly meals now that I've decided to commit less I should have more time....and I want to get back into working out ever since Emily started school our live as be more hectic and working out had been put on the back burner. I want to commit to 3 workout sessions a week. I'm aiming low and trying to be realistic. Hoping I can make that more in the future.

definitely have not reached this goal. I keep really working hard and getting side tracked with life. Still needs work. Although we are pretty healthy when it comes to food and have not been eating out much. Mostly because eating out is not really fun with 1 year old. 


8. Stay organized! Lenny and I did a clean sweep of our home this week. My favorite week of the year since we just stay in and basically hibernate as a nuclear family. I want to keep it up. We now have a new rule instead of shoving stuff we put it on the dining room table if we do to know where it goes. So then we have to find a place for it. Wish us luck ;).

We really have improved on this, all my craft supplies are easily found now and easily accessible. I have made DIY chalkboard labels and I am really on my kids to keep this organized. I really do need to reorganize /clean sweep my kitchen. I would give myself a B on this one so far. 

I think that's a good start to be a well rounded person in 2014. I hope you all keep me accountable since I am posting this you all can seem goals :) I hope you have a wonderful New Years.

All and all I think I have grown a lot in 2014 so far, but still have more self improvement to do. Stay tuned to see if I reach all my goals by December :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment