follow me

https://www.facebook.com/motherhoodandeverythinginbetween

Monday, August 24, 2015

Salsa making

I have been super into canning and freezing fresh veggies this month. This past weekend I have made salsas. There is just something satisfying about storing up these summer goodies for a cold winters night.

Here is the recipe I used:
adapted from http://dinnerforacrowd.blogspot.com/2009/08/mom-thorpes-amazing-bottled-salsa.html

Salsa:

About 10 pounds of tomatoes from my garden/farmers market
1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
3 anahiem peppers. deseeded and diced
1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
1 bunch of celery
1 sweet onion
1 red onion
2 tablespoons sugar
juice of two lemons (put in mirco for a few minutes to get the juices flowing)
a few turns of a pepper grinder
1.5 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
1/2 bunch of cilantro
3 cloves of garlic
pickled jalapeno (about 4) and juices (about 2 tablespoons) this makes it have a lovely favor


---this made my salsa VERY runny. I added a mixture of cornstarch and water to thicken up on a whim. I did not want to go to the store mid process for the salsa pectin, but I would recommend it.


First blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for about 1 minute. This helps loosen the skin. Peel the skin off. You can put a slit with a knife but i just used my fingers, it was a simple process. Quarter the tomatoes and and to your stock pot. diced all your other ingredients and add the the pot. Let it simmer for about 4 hours. If you add the salsa pectin I would do it toward the end here.

For canning:


*******A note on my canning: I have not bought all the expensive equipment. I find it works just as well with a few large stock pots. the one thing I did buy that has made all the difference is canning thongs, a funnel and a magnetic stick to get your lids. It was only about 7 dollars at meijer.**********


boil your lids for about 15 minutes.
Boil your canning jars for about 15 minutes.
Remove jars with thongs, put your funnel on your jar your about to can. Ladle salsa into jar. Put lid on and place back into your boiling pot of water for about 15 minute. Take out and wait for the ping. Thats it.


Canning is really no big deal and its not scary. Trust me, you can do it easily.

Thats it, enjoy your salsa!



No comments:

Post a Comment